WRDTC Induction Event 2014
October 24, 2014
Over 300 new PhD students from the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York attended the White Rose Induction Event, 9 October 2014, at Leeds Town Hall.
This was the first of the large WRDTC events and conferences in 2014-15 for social scientists and forms one part of a wide range of training events and courses offered to the post graduate research community.
The day began with a welcome from the WRDTC Director, Martin Jones, to the White Rose Doctoral Training Centre and an introduction from academic representatives at Universities of Leeds and York.
Our Management and Business, Accounting and Finance, and Work Psychology training pathway (Dr Daniel Coffey, Director of the Graduate School, University of Leeds, Dr Carolyn Hunter, Associate PGR Director, University of York, Caroline Knight, Doctoral Researcher, University of Sheffield and Giuseppe Musarra, Doctoral Researcher, University of Leeds) gave a talk about the training and events they ran last year.
Tim Croudace, Director of the Advanced Quantitative Methods Development Network talked about their future plans.
The current student Academic Quality Committee (AQC) representatives, Marianne Hvistendahl Allday, University of Leeds Robin Morris, University of Sheffield, and David O’Reilly, University of York explained their role on the AQC as a student member and encouraged new students to get involved.
There was also a talk entitled ‘My first year as a PhD student’ by Dan Dennis (Psychology Pathway), University of Sheffield.
After lunch, with time set aside for networking and the Poster Exhibition, new students joined other students from their Pathway areas and discussed their ideas for future events, training and how to build a dynamic research network in their disciplines.
We really enjoyed welcoming our new students to the DTC social sciences research community and are already looking forward to our next major event in the Spring 2015.
Watch the Conference Videos
The Presentations and Talks Are Available below:
- Welcome (PDF, 5.7MB), Martin Jones – Director of DTC, University of Sheffield.
- Introduction to the White Rose DTC (PDF, 2.4MB), Ian Kirkpatrick, University of Leeds & Andrew Webster, University of York.
- Pathways – Showcase, Management and Business, Accounting and Finance, and Work Psychology training pathway (PPTX, 290KB) leaders and students talk about the events and training they ran last year.
- Library and Information Services (PPTX, 138KB), Katy Sidwell, Research Support Adviser, Edward Boyle Library, University of Leeds
- Introduction to Advanced Qualitative Methods Network, Tim Croudace, University of York.
- DTC AQC student representatives (PPTX, 275KB), David O’Reilly (University of York), Robin Morris (University of Sheffield) and Marianne Hvistendahl Allday, (University of Leeds).
- My first year as a PhD student, Dan Dennis from University of Sheffield talks about his own experiences of being a first year PhD student.